Michael D. Stacy
Mike has been with Kaufman, Miller & Forman, P.C. since 2011, practicing primarily in the areas of commercial and general litigation. Prior to joining Kaufman, Miller & Forman, P.C., Mike was a litigation associate at the Bovis, Kyle & Burch, LLC. During his career Mike has obtained favorable results for his clients at both the state and federal level, including reported decisions in the Georgia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Georgia.
While in law school, Mike participated in Emory’s Moot Court Society and was a member of Emory Law’s 2008-2009 National Moot Court team that finished second in its region and made it to the round of sixteen in the final competition in New York City. Additionally, Mike is a member of the Order of the Barrister and was named Emory Law Moot Court Society’s Best Oralist in 2008-2009. He also received Dean’s Awards for outstanding performance in several subjects.
While born and raised in Denver, Colorado, Mike is now a full-fledged Atlantan. He lives in the Vinings/Smyrna area and is active in community groups and events, including the Rotary Club of Sandy Springs.
• Representation of North Georgia summer equestrian camp for girls against allegations of negligence relating to injuries sustained by rearing horses. Summary judgment was upheld on appeal to the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia denied reconsideration.
• Obtained settlement for small business owner against multinational banking and financial services corporation in dispute regarding pre-term termination of interest rate swap agreement that had resulted in a nearly $1,000,000 dollar loss to the small business owner.
• Successful representation of probate bond surety with regard to allegation that the amended Georgia Probate Code violates Constitutional due process by not requiring notice to all potential beneficiaries to decedent’s will. The Supreme Court of Georgia upheld the Probate Court’s conclusion on appeal.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Civil Rights
- Employment Law
- Personal Injury
- Georgia, 2009
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 2009
- Honors: National Order of Barristers
- Honors: Emory Moot Court Society Best Oralist 2008-2009
- Honors: Third Best Overall, Saul Lefkowitz Trademark Competition, Southern Region, 2007 –2008
- Honors: Dean’s Award: Fall 2008, Criminal Litigation
- Honors: Dean’s Award: Fall 2007, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Honors: Emory Moot Court Society, 2007 – 2009
- Honors: National Moot Court Team, 2008-2009
- Honors: Emory Alternative Dispute Resolution Society, 2007-2008
- Vanderbilt University Nashville, TN
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 2005
- Honors: Athenians Junior Honorary
- Honors: Member: Lambda Chi Alpha International Fraternity
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Sandy Springs Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Sandy Springs, Director-Elect, Youth Services